Can I pursue a civil claim if the police were not notified of the abuse or if a criminal case was dismissed or resulted in a not guilty verdict?

Yes. Civil abuse claims are distinct from criminal proceedings. The burden of proof is lower in a civil lawsuit than it is in criminal court.