How are pediatric concussions treated?
A medical practitioner may offer specific post-concussion care instructions. Generally, it’s recommended that children with concussions limit strenuous physical or mental activities for the first 24 to 48 hours and gradually increase these activities based on tolerance.
Other suggestions include:
- limiting access to screens (television, computers, phones)
- encouraging them to stay in a cool, dark, and quiet room
- only using acetaminophen (Tylenol) for headache or pain during the first 48 hours
- providing a light diet if nausea/vomiting are exhibited
- using ice or cooling packs to reduce inflammation of the head and/or neck