What can I sue for?

There are various categories of damages that an injured party can seek compensation for by way of a lawsuit. Any person injured in a motor vehicle accident in Ontario is eligible to claim Statutory Accident Benefits, even if they were at fault for the accident. If an insurer denies you the benefits you rightfully deserve for your injuries you can sue to obtain them. If your injury or a loved one's injury was the result of someone's negligent, intentional or reckless action or inaction, you may be able to sue for:

  • Pain, suffering, and loss of enjoyment of life;
  • Loss of income;
  • Health care expenses;
  • Family Law Act damages (i.e. claims by certain family members);
  • Housekeeping and home maintenance expenses;
  • Other quantified losses.