Goodbye January... Welcome February 1, 2011 and 45,000 tickets issued for distracted driving!
"TTC bus driver caught texting while driving on the job."An observant passenger on the ever-so-busy bus, travelling at a speed of 50 kilometres an hour, snapped a photo of the bus driver texting while driving the bus.
"It is a significant safety issue for us. It is not only illegal, of course, to text and drive or to talk on your cell phone and drive, but it also violates our policy, which is a longstanding policy and it's based solely on safety...You're in charge of the bus full of passengers, you're responsible for the safety of other motorists on the road, pedestrians, cyclists, so we take this extremely seriously..." - Brad Ross, TTC spokesperson Following the news reports of this initial story, it was reported that two additional bus drivers were caught texting and driving and caught on camera.It is unfortunate to mention the sheer number of high-profile deaths and serious injuries that have been caused by TTC buses and streetcars this past fall/winter.
- December 12, 2010- a 50-year-old man was hit by a TTC bus and taken to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre with serious injuries;
- December 24, 2010- Christmas tragedy- a TTC bus struck two Stacey Electric workers doing railway maintenance. It was the 4th accident involving a TTC vehicle that week.
- January 11, 2011- middle-aged man struck and killed by TTC streetcar, driver was unaware that the man had been hit and was under the streetcar;
- January 21, 2011- a 55-year-old man was struck and killed by a TTC bus, and again, the driver was unaware that the man had been struck;
- January 21, 2011- The McGuinty Government announced it is moving to declare the TTC an essential service as early as Spring 2011;
- January 30, 2011- elderly man slipped and fell under a parked TTC bus; it was rumoured he was getting off of the bus;
- February 1, 2011- 14-year-old girl was trapped under a TTC bus and rushed to hospital with serious injuries.
- November 22, 2010- 23-year-old woman hit by a car while crossing the street during rush hour, rushed to hospital with head injury;
- November 29, 2010- a construction worker holding a traffic sign was struck and killed in Hamilton after a vehicle hit him;
- November 30, 2010- an elderly woman was struck by a car while crossing at a large intersection and rushed to the hospital;
- December 17, 2010- an SUV crashes through a mall entrance, striking a 60-year-old woman who was taken to hospital;
- December 21, 2010- a cyclist in his 50's was fighting for his life in hospital after being struck by a car and suffering massive injuries;
- December 28, 2010- a woman in her 30's was struck by 2 vehicles while crossing at an intersection and suffered life-threatening injuries;
- January 10, 2011-a man was struck and killed on Highway 400 while trying to help another motorist change a flat tire
- January 25, 2011- a City of Toronto worker was struck by an SUV while filling pot-holes;
- January 25, 2011- an elderly woman was struck by a vehicle while running across a street to catch a bus and suffered serious head injuries; she was jay-walking.
STAY CALM AND SAFE THIS WINTER GLUCKSTEIN & ASSOCIATES LLP
Subscribe to our Newsletter