When Should I Contact an Injury Lawyer?

We know it can seem to be a very daunting task, taking that first step in seeking legal representation for your injury. " The intake department of our personal injury law firm has had numerous people call in and say that they just don't know if they should be contacting a lawyer. They don't think it is worth it to contact a lawyer or have no idea where they should start within the legal process. You may be in that exact same position right now. This blog post will outline a number of scenarios for when you should contact a personal injury lawyer. 'I should contact a personal injury lawyer when"¦' I have sustained a serious injury that I believe was due to someone else's negligence. The types of serious injuries which you should contact a lawyer for are things like broken bones, concussions, and spinal cord injuries. Injuries, which have been medically supported by your doctor who states that your injury is preventing you from being able to work and live your life as normal, would be considered serious. If you have sustained this type of injury and it has been caused by another individual or Corporation not taking reasonable care to keep you safe on while on their premises, you should contact an injury lawyer. Still not sure if you should reach out to a lawyer for legal representation? If you can relate to the following statements, you should contact a personal injury lawyer;
  • "I slipped and fell on the city sidewalk and broke my leg. The sidewalk was not well maintained."
  • "I slipped and fell in a grocery store that had water on the floor and broke my arm."
  • "I was in a serious car accident causing serious and permanent injuries and now can't go back to work"
  • "I was in a car accident, it wasn't my fault, and now I have a concussion and a broken rib."
  • "I was riding on an ATV and crashed causing serious injuries because the path wasn't maintained."
  • "My neighbour's dog attacked me and I have serious injuries to my face/arms/legs."
I have been injured /have a physical/mental disability and my insurance company has denied paying benefits out to me. It is important to reach out to a personal injury lawyer when you have been injured and have been denied long term disability by your insurance company. A lawyer will be able to review your documentation and help you collect on the benefits that you deserve. If you have suffered from the following disabilities and have been denied payment of benefits, it is time to reach out to an experienced injury lawyer;
  • Inability to use your arms and legs due to strokes or heart attacks, speech defects, cancer, or a serious mental illness.
Still not sure if you should reach out to a lawyer for legal representation? If you can relate to the following statements, you should contact a personal injury lawyer;
  • "My doctor says that because of my stroke, I am not able to go back to work but my insurance has denied my long term disability claim."
  • "I've been diagnosed with cancer and I am unable to work but I have been denied for long term disability."
  • "I've been diagnosed with PTSD and I am unable to go back to work, my disability claim has been denied."
What most people don't realize is that they only have a certain amount of time to submit a claim with the courts. Delays in contacting an injury lawyer could prevent you from being able to sue for compensation for your injuries. Here are timelines you will need to know about when applying for a personal injury claim:
  1. To notify your insurance company that you intend to make a claim, you have" 7 days" from the date of your accident.
  2. Once you receive accident benefits forms from your insurance company, you must complete and submit them within" 30 days.
  3. If your injury was a result of negligence from a municipality or the MTO, you have" 10 days" from the date of the accident or injury to submit a notice letter to them, notifying of your intent to start a claim with the courts.
  4. To start a lawsuit, you have" 2 years" from the date of your accident to file the claim with the courts.
If you have experienced a serious injury like the ones described above, Call Rastin & Associates at 1-844-RASTIN1 (727-8461)


Subscribe to our Newsletter

Sign me up