07 Nov Brain Injury Awareness Month
Gluckstein Personal Injury Lawyers would like to remind everyone that June is recognized as National Brain Injury Awareness Month. The Brain Injury Association of Canada designated June as Brain Injury Awareness Month to assist with creating more awareness across Canada as to the effects and causes of an acquired brain injury. Statistics demonstrate that in Canada brain injury is the number one killer of those 44 years old and younger. Furthermore they indicate that incidences are two times greater within the males compared to females. Automobile accidents, sports injuries, cycling accidents, falls, strokes, tumors, aneurysms, and other non-degenerative conditions are all leading causes of acquired Brain Injury in Canada.
The Ontario Brain Injury Association outlines statistics that demonstrate just how common brain injuries can be within our community:
- Within the next hour, 6 Canadians will suffer a brain injury
- An estimated 1.3 million Canadians are living with an acquired brain injury right now
- 1 in 10 people will know someone who will suffer a brain injury this year
- Brain injuries are the number one killer and disabler of people under the age of 44
- More than 18,000 Ontarians will suffer a brain injury this year
- 1 in 5 sports related injuries are head injuries
Often the challenge with realizing/establishing one has suffered a brain injury is that there can be little to no visible damage to the head. Some signs or symptoms may appear immediately after the traumatic event, while others may appear much later. This is why awareness is essential, the more the public understand about acquired brain injuries the better informed they will be.
Gluckstein Personal Injury Lawyers believes that it is essential to gather more awareness for this cause and support survivors. However, in the month of June it is also very important to thank all the family members, caregivers, support workers and community who help survivors each day. Without their support rehabilitation and recovery would be impossible.